Sunday, April 15, 2012

The pony Rodeo!

A few days ago I hiked from Damascus to Grayson Highlands in southern VA. The Highlands used to be home to elk and timber wolves but they are extinct now; lucky for me there were still wild ponies around, and I was determined to ride one.
Bo has been taken care of, for the time being, I'm not sure how long that will last but as of right now I'm still headed North.
My Merrell perimeter boots are AMAZING! I've walked nearly 600 miles and they have kept my socks bone dry, except for the torrential storm that literally had me running from the top of a mountain, but everything got wet that day. When they dried out they went right back to being waterproof and perfect. I could not have asked for a better boot!
I got my food situation taken care of thanks to Backpackers Pantry, they were extremely helpful and made it very easy for me to get supplied.
I also want to thank all my friends and family who have been extremely helpful and supportive.
As we got close to the Highlands we saw lots of pony poop and tracks. There were fences around the springs to keep them safe to drink, and lots of talk of ponies but none to be seen. Finally after 3 days of searching we found the elusive wild ponies! They were easy to approach if you had food, they were pretty small but hardy. I picked one out and gave Thor my camera as I mentally prepared for my 5 second ride. It was a wild ride indeed he was just short enough for me to occasionally get a foot on the ground to steady myself, but with nothing to hold on to it was not easy. After gracefully dismounting and landing on my feet Thor presented me with my victorious picture which could not have been better! So my trip continues... for now. To Maine!










No comments:

Post a Comment