Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Rainforest

So 2 days ago was my wettest, longest, most beautiful day yet. I woke up on a mountain, and decided today I will push myself. I walked into the rain and fog, which was so thick you could only see a few feet. As I continued through the mist I kept on noticing the tunnels I was being forced through, it was like my own little world. I have never been to a rainforest but this is exactly how I imagined one to be. Apparently Mooney gap is one of the wettest places in the eastern US. At one point the trail climbs 600 vertical feet in .3 miles to the top of a mountain, I threw my hiking stick up the trail and literally climbed up the rock face. At the top I let out a victorious, barbaric YALP into the thick fog and continued. Throughout the next 11 miles I got absolutely soaked with rain, to the bone! That day I Passed from GA to NC, passed my 100 mile mark, received my first bit of trail magic (cookies), and hiked 25 miles, the next I only did 4 and it felt great.










1 comment:

  1. Awesome...Tough being wet all day but that deep solitude of nature is magical. it's food for the soul.

    ReplyDelete